Why is this important?
The importance of this topic is obvious. As adolescents pass through their teen years, they are faced with decisions about the life ahead of them. Today, things are extremely fluid compared to years gone by. As we entered the 21st
century, the working world, indeed the world as we knew it, was changing dramatically. No longer did we finish school, get a job, work for the company for the whole of our careers and then retire on a company pension. Rather, multiple careers – often involving jobs that were not even real at the turn of the century – have become commonplace and, in many cases, there is no longer a company pension awaiting the retiree. Instead, today’s youth will have to manage their own careers and pension schemes and contend with a global community that will continually impact their working lives. As parents and guardians, we have both the privilege and responsibility of mentoring and assisting our children as they begin the initial steps in their career.
Ways to engage your child and fun things to do.
There are a number of things that adolescents will have to do in order to successfully embark on a career. These include such things as choosing a career, resume writing, finding a job and attending an interview to name but a few. Below are some suggested activities that will help them with these tasks.
- Begin a discussion with your daughter or son by asking them if they have given any thought to the type of lifestyle they would like to live as an adult. With their explanation as background, ask them what type of career they are considering and how it meshes with the type of lifestyle they identified. This can be followed up by looking at various careers with them and perhaps doing an interest inventory. (See websites below). (Module 7 deals with being an entrepreneur if that is of interest.)
- As a follow-up to the activity in 1, you might make a list together (or review the list in Money and Youth – Module 6) of sources of information regarding a specific career choice.
- Review with them the components of a good resume, ensuring that it follows the latest structure and style.
- If your son or daughter is applying for a job, full or part-time, conduct a mock interview with them. For comic relief, you might watch this video together - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0KjdDJr1c
- Review with your son or daughter the information – Some Tips on Finding a Job in Module 6 of Money and Youth.
Additional Background and Related Websites and Resources